If you are outside of Canada and want to immigrate to Canada you must apply for a visa before coming to Canada. Many visitors must apply for visas before coming to Canada. If you are inadmissible, you will not be granted a visa. This helps to monitor and control the movement of people to Canada.
The moment you arrive in Canada, you can start preparing to become a Canadian citizen. You will need to demonstrate a deep commitment to this country by living in Canada, learning to communicate in at least one of the official languages, learning about Canada and obeying Canadian laws.
To be eligible for Canadian citizenship:
- You must be a permanent resident;
- You must live in Canada for at least three years before applying to become a citizen;
- You will need to have adequate knowledge of either English or French;
- You will need to demonstrate your knowledge of Canada and the rights, responsibilities and privileges of citizenship;
- You must be 18 years old or more to apply;
- You must pass a citizenship test if you are 18 years of age or older; and
- You must attend a citizenship ceremony and take the oath of citizenship.
Citizenship requirements and the way they are assessed are subject to change. Please check the CIC website for the most up-to-date information.
More about Immigrating to Canada from Settlement.org – http://settlement.org/ontario/immigration-citizenship/immigrating-to-ontario/
Citizenship and Immigration Canada –